Sunday, October 26, 2008

Week 5: Should women hold power?

One day I would like to see a woman in the Whitehouse as long as it is the right woman. I would like to see what a woman could do with our country. I am not saying that I am anti Sarah Palin, but I don’t feel that someone like her should be in the Whitehouse. I don’t agree where she stands on most issues, but most of all, I don’t agree with a woman who has young children taking on such a huge responsibility.
Sarah Palin has a young child with Down syndrome. It takes a lot of time and energy to take care of a baby especially one with special needs. Palin opposes explicit sex education programs and believes that sex should wait until marriage. She has a 17 year old daughter who is about to have a baby. Obviously Palin does not have enough time to focus on her family and she does not have the ability to get her own child to believe in her views. I find it unfortunate that Sarah Palin may miss out on great milestone in her children’s lives. I don’t believe that a woman should have to choose between having a family or having a career, but Palin is young enough to have another shot at the Whitehouse.
In my opinion, I think that John McCain is using the gender of Sarah Palin to advance his career to the highest level. A lot of Americans may have been ready for a change with a female president and I think that McCain took advantage of the situation. He chose a running mate that clearly does not have enough experience for the job, but at least she wears a skirt. I also feel that John McCain is hoping to gain the voters who may have voted for Hilary Clinton based on her gender by having Sarah Palin by his side.

1 comment:

K. Reilly Smith said...

I agree with you that Sarah Palin is not an appropriate choice for the next vice president based on the grounds that she lacks knowledge of the subject and should focus more time on her family at this time. Obviously McCain is using Palin as a strategic mark, trying to sway female voters to change their vote to republican. However, many oppose Palin because she is against various women’s right, she has chosen to promote Pro-Life. I find it ironic that she is promoting people should wait until marriage to procreate when her own 17-year-old daughter is pregnant and in the process of getting married. She is having trouble focusing on her own family, how will she be able to run a country? Putting my personal opinion aside, she has young children that are not ready for their mother to be taken away from them and constantly in the public eye.

It is a very strong statement, choosing a women to run alongside you for vice-president, but could this be causing more trouble for McCain than good. With the huge impact that Hillary Clinton made, you could see why McCain would want to select a female partner to run with. He is hoping to gain those votes that Clinton once bestowed. The problem with this strategy is that women across the country are opposing Palin’s beliefs and her lifestyle. Using the slug line, I’m a hockey mom just like you, is issuing disparity across the globe. Especially in Alaska, Palin’s “favored” state, many citizens oppose what she stands for and does not want to see her in office again.